The NSM was opened on 13 March 2008 and is housed at the MCG.
Australia Post released a souvenir sheet to commemorate the event. It was accompanied by an insert which explained the sport represented in the selvedge of the P stamp.
The NSM is currently comprised of nine permanent galleries, curated under the following themes:
- Australia’s Game (Australian Football)
- Backyard to Baggy Green (Cricket)
- Champions (Thoroughbred horse racing)
- Faster, Higher, Stronger (Olympics)
- Game On (Interactive Gallery)
- Multi-Sports (Various sports)
- Spirit of Sport (Sport Australia Hall of Fame)
- The People’s Ground (MCG)